23 Nov Main causes of mottled eggshells
“Spotted” or “mottled” eggshells are those that show many translucent spots during candling. Under normal light, the eggs may appear marble-like. The translucent spots are areas where the eggshell structure is disorganized and has become thinner and weaker.
The normal eggshell has many pores to allow the gas exchange needed for the survival of the embryo. In mottled eggs, abnormal amounts of moisture and air are lost through the disorganized structure of the translucent areas, reducing the hatchability of fertile eggs.
Mottled table eggs are not usually downgraded unless the spots are very visible, or the shells become very fragile and thin.
Recently, we at PlusVet Animal Health have given a seminar together with Vetworks, where the Doctor in Veterinary Medicine Hilde Van Meirhaeghe educated the audience on how to align gut health and the reproductive tract for excellent productivity in layers. One of the questions from the attendees was about the causes of mottled eggshells, a problem that our customers producing in hot and humid climates are facing often.
Causes of mottled eggshells
- Heat stress and stress in general
- Diseases that affect the reproductive tract, specifically the uterus (where the shell is formed), in example Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis Virus, Egg Drop Syndrome
- Contamination by mycotoxins
- Manganese deficiency
- Calcium deficiency or bad absorption of calcium because of intestinal problems
Actions to prevent mottled eggshells
- Control of the environmental conditions (temperature and humidity)
- Prevention of diseases, including a good vaccination plan
- Support of calcium metabolism (maintaining gut health, optimizing the Ca/P ratio, and ensuring the administration of vitamin D)
- Use of a mycotoxin binder
- Sometimes if it is a big problem forced molting may help
Products of choice
GrowthPlus© is added to feed to maintain and improve digestive health. It is formulated with synergistic ingredients:
- Bactericidal and fungicidal plant extracts, combined with organic acids for better effectiveness, that reduce the number of pathogenic microbes in the digestive system.
- Plant extracts with prebiotic effect, that promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- Immunostimulant and antioxidant plant extracts.
- Silicates with mycotoxin binding function.
It is especially useful in cases of gizzard diseases, necrotic enteritis, feed passage and other enteritis. It is also used as a natural growth promoter and to replace antibiotic growth promoters.
PlusBreathe© contains essential oils with natural antiseptic, antioxidant, expectorant and mucolytic activity. It has a refreshing taste.
It is indicated to improve the functioning of the respiratory system and to mitigate heat stress in birds, ruminants, pigs and rabbits of all ages. It can also be nebulized in the farm environment.
PhytoMax© is a combination of vitamins, chelated calcium, microminerals and essential oils to be given through drinking water. It is intended for layers and breeders to:
- Maintain the levels of calcium and magnesium needed for optimal egg production.
- Reinforce skeletal health.
- Prevent cage fatigue.
- Stimulate the hepatic metabolism and the immune system.
- Improve the quality of the egg and the health of day-old chicks.
- Avoid the drop of the laying rate produced by stress (management, vaccines, hot weather, etc…)
- At the start of the laying period, to boost productivity.
- Prolong the productive life of the hen.
PlusBind© is a mixture of carefully selected silicates intended for the prevention of diseases and productivity losses related to the presence of all types of mycotoxins. It is indicated in poultry, pigs, aquaculture and ruminants.
The silicates present in PlusBind© have a highly expandable molecular structure. This characteristic gives the product a wide surface available for the adsorption of mycotoxins and therefore allows a high effectiveness at lower doses (0.5-1 kg per ton of feed).
Would you like further information?
Certain health statements may not be applicable in your region.