22 Apr Mechanism of action of phytogenics, organic acids and prebiotics against necrotic enteritis
Necrotic enteritis is a major concern in poultry farms because of its association with decreased performance. After the ban of antibiotic growth promoters, a group of feed additives emerged as tools to fight necrotic enteritis. In this article, we explore the mechanism of action of phytogenics, prebiotics and organic acids.
Phytogenics are effective against necrotic enteritis through several mechanisms of action:
- Direct microbiocide action: phytogenics have natural microbiocide properties. In multiple trials, we have shown that the administration of our products based on phytogenics reduces the count of Clostridium perfringens in the intestine.
- Thanks to their antiinflammatory and antioxidant activities, phytogenics protect the epithelial tissues and reinforce the gut barrier.
- Phytogenics stimulate both the innate and the adaptative immune systems. Poor immunity is associated with an increased risk of necrotic enteritis.
- Some phytogenics increase the natural digestive enzymatic activity, improving feed digestion. Undigested feed in the intestine is a substrate for the growth of Clostridium perfringens.
- Certain phytogenics can protect the birds against coccidiosis, which is one of the most important predisposing factors to necrotic enteritis.
Prebiotics are carbohydrates, non-digestible by the birds, that serve as a substrate for the beneficial flora and stimulate its growth. When the counts of beneficial flora increase, the counts of pathogenic microorganisms such as C. perfringens drop, following a principle called “competitive exclusion”.
Organic acids are useful to fight necrotic enteritis, especially when combined with phytogenics. Organic acids:
- Decrease the pH in the proximal part of the small intestine. Undigested feed, oxidized fats or nutrients with low bioavailability increase the pH in the small intestine, favoring the growth of Clostridium perfringens.
- Some organic acids have bacteriostatic activity and work synergistically with phytogenics to reduce the counts of Clostridium perfringens in the digestive system.
Products of choice
GrowthPlus© is added to feed to maintain and improve digestive health. It is formulated with synergistic ingredients:
- Bactericidal and fungicidal plant extracts, combined with organic acids for better effectiveness, that reduce the number of pathogenic microbes in the digestive system.
- Plant extracts with prebiotic effect, that promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- Immunostimulant and antioxidant plant extracts.
- Silicates with mycotoxin binding function.
It is especially useful in cases of gizzard diseases, necrotic enteritis, feed passage and other enteritis. It is also used as a natural growth promoter and to replace antibiotic growth promoters.
PlusProtect Digestive© is intended for digestive health in birds and rabbits of all ages. It is formulated with synergistic ingredients:
- Essential oils with bactericidal and fungicidal activity
- Plant extracts with prebiotic effect.
- Immunostimulant and antioxidant essential oils
PlusProtect Digestive© is useful to improve gut health in the following cases:
- Candidiasis in beak, crop and gizzard
- Bacterial infections in gizzard. In severe cases, it is better to give together with our PlusBind© line (mycotoxin binders)
- Bacterial infections in the intestines (necrotic enteritis; E.coli; Salmonella sp.)
- General digestive imbalances, such as feed passage.
Do not miss any of our articles!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter
Would you like further information?
Certain health statements may not be applicable in your region.