09 Jun Effects of mycotoxins on eggshell quality: inhibition of the synthesis of carbonate
Zinc is an essential trace element involved in many biological activities. The ingredients that are commonly used in feed do not contain enough zinc, and even may include factors that limit its absorption; therefore, supplementation with zinc is indispensable.
Zinc plays a key role in eggshell formation: the synthesis of calcium carbonate from carbon dioxide and water is catalyzed by a zinc-dependent enzyme called carbonic anhydrase. A deficiency of zinc in layer and breeder diets leads to a lower enzymatic activity of carbonic anhydrase, increasing the occurrence of cracked eggs and shells with pigmentation defects.
To be transported throughout the body, zinc needs to be bound to blood transport proteins such as albumin and metallothionein, which are synthesized in the liver. Hepatic diseases have been associated with zinc deficiency in humans and animals for more than half a century.
Mycotoxins are toxic to the hepatic tissues. Aflatoxins reduce the concentration of albumin and total proteins in the blood; fumonisins interfere with the synthesis of hepatic cell membranes; T-2 toxin and ochratoxin A lead to hepatic necrosis. It has been demonstrated that hens that consume feed contaminated with mycotoxins, especially aflatoxins, are more likely to be zinc deficient and to lay abnormal eggs.
When we observe an increase in defective eggs and confirm that the feed is contaminated with mycotoxins, we can adopt a comprehensive solution:
- Administer an extra supplementation of zinc, preferably in organic form (PhytoMax©)
- Add a broad-spectrum mycotoxin binder to the feed (PlusBind©, BioShield©)
- Give phytogenics that restore liver health (PhytoMax©, BioShield©)
The best approach to manage mycotoxin risk is to implement an integrated strategy that includes good storing practices of the feedstuffs, and frequent mycotoxin analysis, as well as the regular use of a mycotoxin binder. We at PlusVet Animal Health help farms to set up a mycotoxin risk management program and to evaluate the risk posed by mycotoxin in their feedstuffs.
Products of choice
PhytoMax© is a combination of vitamins, chelated calcium, microminerals and essential oils to be given through drinking water. It is intended for layers and breeders to:
- Maintain the levels of calcium and magnesium needed for optimal egg production.
- Reinforce skeletal health.
- Prevent cage fatigue.
- Stimulate the hepatic metabolism and the immune system.
- Improve the quality of the egg and the health of day-old chicks.
- Avoid the drop of the laying rate produced by stress (management, vaccines, hot weather, etc…)
- At the start of the laying period, to boost productivity.
- Prolong the productive life of the hen.
- In birds at risk of liver diseases, such as fatty liver, toxins or infections.
- To counteract the negative effects of feeding with oxidized fats or feed contaminated with mycotoxins and heavy metals.
- Before, during or after periods of stress, such as heat stress, vaccination, stressful management practices, diseases, etc
- To improve the taste, color and shelf life of meat and eggs; to increase eggshell quality whenever eggshell defects are related to poor liver function.
- To improve sperm quality and hatchability in breeders.
- To enhance growth, productivity, and efficiency.
BioShield© is a complete solution that protects your animals against toxicity by mycotoxins. It includes:
- Broad spectrum mycotoxin protection (silicates with mycotoxin binding function)
- Phytogenics that preserve liver health, safeguard gut health and activate the immune system.
PlusBind© is a mixture of carefully selected silicates intended for the prevention of diseases and productivity losses related to the presence of all types of mycotoxins. It is indicated in poultry, pigs, aquaculture and ruminants.
The silicates present in PlusBind© have a highly expandable molecular structure. This characteristic gives the product a wide surface available for the adsorption of mycotoxins and therefore allows a high effectiveness at lower doses (0.5-1 kg per ton of feed).
PlusBind Bio© is a mixture of carefully selected silicates intended for the prevention of diseases and productivity losses related to the presence of all types of mycotoxins. It also contains plant extracts with prebiotic effect.
It is indicated in poultry, pigs and aquaculture.
The silicates present in PlusBind Bio© have a highly expandable molecular structure. This characteristic gives the product a wide surface available for the adsorption of mycotoxins and therefore allows a high effectiveness at lower doses (0.5-1 kg per ton of feed).
Do not miss any of our articles!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter
Would you like further information?
Certain health statements may not be applicable in your region.